Verse Wisconsin 111 includes tributes to Phyllis Walsh and Hummingbird (guest edited by CX Dillhunt) and to Wisconsin's first poet laureate, Ellen Kort (guest edited by Fabu), a selection of poems guest curated by Gillian Nevers in partnership with the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art, prose about women as publishers, more than thirty book reviews, contributor audio, and poetry news in Wisconsin. Our next issue will be available in October!
In 2013-14, Verse Wisconsin will appear biannually, Spring & Fall. Verse Wisconsin is a print-online magazine with compatible but different contents. From September-May we accept print submissions of any style, subject and voice, including verse drama. We also welcome reviews (see books received) and queries for essays about poetry, including those about writing groups, interesting or innovative poetry programs, and the intersection of poetry and daily life; we invite you to send photos of readings and poetry events to consider posting on the website, as well as notices about Wisconsin poetry news. Read, view, & listen to the online edition now. Subscribe to our print magazine for more poetry and prose. Please join us at an upcoming event, send us a link, and support Verse Wisconsin!
Our next online call (for October 2013) is "Parents & Children." We're reading April 1-May 15. Visit the submissions page for details.
The Verse-O-Matic currently dispenses shorter poems from the 2013 Wisconsin Poets' Calendar! The new Calendar is available through the Wisconsin Fellowship of Poets.
Interested in having the Verse-O-Matic travel to your library/ school/ business/ community center? Contact sarah(at)versewisconsin(dot)org.
More Upcoming Deadlines
- February 1: Chapbook Contest, Muse Prize, Student Contest
- August 1: Triad Contest
Wisconsin Academy Poetry Contest, December 15
Newer Wisconsin Poetry Publishers
- Furrow, Published by the UW-Milwaukee. A journal for undergraduate work, emphasis on Milwaukee area.
- Lake City Lights, An Online Poetry Anthology
- Midwest Prairie Review, celebrates the imagination, energy, and human spirit of the Midwest Prairielands.
- The Rued Review, students of the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay working to develop a journal of the arts.
- Zarigueya Press, publishes outstanding collections of contemporary poetry by women.
- N.E.W. Voices, A Literary Platform for North-East Wisconsin, c/o Caravaggio Press, P.O. Box 41, Ellison Bay, WI 54210, or email Nancy Rafal, mrsticket(at)gmail(dot)com
- Redzine, a literary magazine publishing poetry and fiction.
- Stoneboat, a literary journal based in Sheboygan, Wisconsin. Poetry, short prose, and black-and-white art.
- Rescue Press, publishes work by activists, artists, craftsmen, entrepreneurs, list-makers, philosophers, poets, scientists, writers, and creative thinkers of all kinds.
- Devil's Lake, an online journal published twice a year at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Poetry and fiction.
- Otherwise, A Young Writers' Poetry Journal, a non-profit project launched by a Milwaukee school teacher/poet. Accepts submissions from young writers ages 5-17.
Verse Wisconsin in the News
- Wisconsin State Journal, Poetry in devotion: Committee seeks nominations for next statewide ambassador, 10/12
- New Pages Review of Verse Wisconsin 109, 9/18/12
- Madison Magazine Best of 2012 Award, 7/12
- Wisconsin People & Ideas, "5Q-Cowfeather Press," Fall 2011
- Wisconsin People & Ideas, "Verse-O-Matic Delivers Bite Size Poetry (and Candy)," Summer 2011
- Harriet the Blog: The Poetry Foundation, 5/11
- WORT Radio Literature, 4/21-11, interview with Wendy Vardaman on sonnets & VW105 Forms issue
- Madison Magazine Liberal-Arts Blog, 3/11
- VW 104 interview with John Koethe at Poetry Daily, 3/11
- Duotrope Digest, 8/10, Interview
- Isthmus, 8/12/10
- WORT Radio Literature, 7/22/10, 7:30 pm, with Sarah Busse
- VW 102 interview with Matthea Harvey at Poetry Daily, 7/10
- Madison Magazine Liberal-Arts Blog, 3/10
- Coffee Spew (Blog of Cambridge Book Review), 3/10
- Poetry Dispatch, 3/10
- Square 77 (Wisconsin State Journal), 3/10
- Wisonsin People & Ideas, 1/10
- Madison Magazine, 11/09
- WORT Radio Literature, 10/15/09, 7:30 pm
Listen to an excerpt of Sarah Busse's interview with WORT